Big thank you to Salmon Arm Ready Mix for donating a truck load of sand to replenish our sand box!
SD83 Kindergarten Registration 2021-22
We are looking forward to welcoming you and your child to North Okanagan School District No. 83! Due to COVID-19, there are some changes to the Kindergarten registration process this year:
1. Kindergarten registration will open at 9am on Tuesday, October 13th and remain open for the rest of the school year.
2. You may choose to register in-person at the school or online.
3. Registering in-person: Please phone the school and make an appointment to come in and complete the paperwork, as only one family at a time can be in the school office area.
4. Registering online: Please email the school to request the online registration link.
5. You will need to register at your child’s catchment school (based on your physical address) or specialty school (Bastion – Early French Immersion or South Canoe – Outdoor Learning). To access our catchment school locator tool or find out more information about our specialty schools, Click Here.
6. Any parents/caregivers requesting a cross-boundary consideration will need to follow these steps:
a. Register at their catchment school (in-person or online)
b. Complete a cross boundary request form
c. Have the form signed by the catchment school’s principal
d. Take the form to the principal of the requested school (for cross-boundary consideration in the spring)
7. All Kindergarten registrations completed on Tuesday, October 13th are treated as “equal”, so there is no need for line-ups on that day. Registrations received after October 13th, will be date/time stamped and treated on a first come, first served basis. This information will be used to determine placement IF catchment area schools or programs are full. Students with siblings already registered in a Program of Choice (French Immersion or Outdoor Learning) will be given priority if there is limited space.
If you have any questions about the Kindergarten registration process, please contact: Jennifer Findlay, District Principal, at email@example.com
On September 30, to recognize Orange Shirt Day at Salmon Arm West, students first watched and talked about the video by Phyllis Webstad. Students and staff then joined at the Shannon Sharp Learning Circle to recognize the traditional and unceded territory of the Secwepemc people and to honour Inuit, Metis, and First Nations residential school survivors. A moment of silence was observed for those who did not survive the residential school system. As part of our commitment to truth and reconciliation, students wrote messages of hope and kindness on hearts and placed them around the Learning Circle.
Our message to all; that the Indigenous peoples of Canada matter and that every child matters. Kukwstsetsemc. Thank you.
We are looking forward to welcoming our North Okanagan-Shuswap StrongStart families back to our programs starting on Thursday, October 1st. StrongStart is a free early learning program for preschool children, 0 to 5 years old, and their parent or caregiver. There will be COVID-19 guidelines in place at all programs to ensure the safety of our families, StrongStart educators, and school community.
- Registration for all SD83 StrongStart programs will open on Thursday, September 17th, 2020 and will be ongoing
- If your child was previously registered in a StrongStart program in our district, please call the school to indicate that you and your child are interested in attending the StrongStart program again this school year
- If your child is new to StrongStart, please phone the school to request a time to come in and complete the registration process
- Interested families will need to choose one program to attend as we will not be supporting participation at multiple programs due to COVID-19
The staff at Salmon Arm West has put a lot of thought into the health, safety, and well-being of our staff members, students, and parents. Please go to the links below to see our the school and district health and safety protocols for the 2020-2021 school year.
All staff with be reviewing this document on September 8th and September 9th, 2020. All students will be learning about how to keep themselves and others safe on September 10th and September 11th, 2020. Safety protocols will be regularly taught and reviewed with students as needed during the year.